NYC – July 3-8, 2017
The Tap Into Freedom Intensive is designed to provide Intermediate/Advanced, Pre-professional tap dancers, and teachers a complete context from which they might explore the art of tap dance. Regardless of dancer’s final goal – tap dance company member, master improviser, or musical theatre leading role – the intensive will provide the fundamental foundation necessary to allow progress in any direction they choose.
In the over 50 hours of training, topics to be covered include:
- History: Oral Tradition, traditional steps, key contributors
- Physiology and self-care: flexibility and strength
- Musicality: Music Theory, Rhythm Theory, and Song Form.
- Technique: Rudiments, Progressions, Grooves, Chords, and Accents.
- Vocabulary: Shuffles, Paddle and Roll, Air Steps (pick-ups, pull-backs, and wings), and Tap Turns.
- And MORE: How to Steal Steps, Approaches to Improvisation, and How to Practice.
Past Guest Faculty have included Grammy award-winning percussionist Shane Shanahan and award-winning storyteller Peter Aguero.
Only 12 spots available to ensure a personalized learning environment.
All participants of the NYC Intensive will receive a package valued at over $200.00.
Here’s some of what it includes:
- A-I Flexibility Rope from Wharton Health
- Large format Moleskine Journal
- Dancetime Publications’ DVD Tap History: From Vaudeville to Film
- and more!!!!!
With this package each attendee will have all the tools they need to pursue their journey in tap dance during the week and beyond.
*Actual contents may vary.
Check a sample schedule* below.
*Sample schedule displayed for example purposes only. Actual schedule may vary.
Fees and Scholarships
Below are the costs and fees to attend:
Full tuition: $700
Participant is responsible for housing and meals during the intensive.
Scholarships are available through the application process. We are happy to offer opportunities for full, half, and quarter tuition scholarship assistance.
Please do not let the cost of tuition prevent you from applying.